Book recommendations - Part 6

 Hello fam, 

Back with part 6 , some fun books ahead,...

Older books reco link - Part 1-5 

1.The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Young Adult Romance

Whoever loved, that loved not at first sight....

I was in search of a heartwarming rom-com novel with real depth, happened to open Netflix and as fate or algorithm had it, (I would vote for the former), I stumbled upon the movie, Love at First Sight. It's a movie review ahead, but it stems from the book based on the 2011 young adult novel The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith.

20 mins through the movie, the intricacies, I could tell it was a novel adaptation, and I was right. I would have actually preferred this name, given the amount of stats mentioned in the movie 😂. The protagonist seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan, having missed her flight, (she's used to being clumsy)she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver is a 22-year-old British student studying statistics/psychology at Yale, all the stats makes sense 😂. It's the story of their love at first sight due to a missed flight, 8% of couples meet due to missed connections.

What I loved about this movie is, how it wasn't lustful or about infatuation at any point. It's that unexplainable sense of bond that forms with someone you just met, maybe a cosmic connection,,, that when realized and acted upon makes life filled with love. It's so beautiful that both of them put in efforts to find each other after the airport encounter. (Well Oliver did give his number, but before Hadely could save it, her phone battery dies.)Fate can only be fate if we decide that we want it to be.I just love such dialogues, so weighted, so charming, and so so real.

There's 0.2% chance of of two specific people finding each other again after a chance meeting, but what's the worth of the chance if it is not taken 🤌 Missed flights, Broken seat belts and a choice to love each other each day. That is Love at First Sight movie for you.

2. The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing : Business book

 Written by Al Ries and Jack Trout, frames foundational marketing strategies as unchangeable rules akin to the laws of physics. A deep dive review into each law is available in this link, give it a read. It's a standalone blog for the book. One of the best.

3.Lessons in Chemistry -  Feminist fiction / tragicomedy

It's a Strangely Attractive Novel, by Bonnie Garmus, as in , neither an unputdownable read nor did it allow me to abandon it, which I mostly do if a book is not engaging enough by 10% of the starting portion.One of the heaviest novels I've read so far.

The story revolves around Elizabeth Zott, a genius chemist, an unabashed feminist, and how she travels through life which she didn't plan: struggles at work, a baby, that too out of wedlock ofcourse. Feminism can be seen so easily in every move and dialogue of hers, and it doesn't come across as something deliberate, it's how she's made. There's no such thing as JUST A Housewife, she says....

I usually prefer fun light-hearted reads, cuz why do even read fiction? To escape reality right!!! But this book had some aspects which sank in deep and am sure will crop out when needed. As I said, it's strangely attractive, you can't ignore or forget Miss Zott once you read it. 4/5 , cut points for atheism part, scientists need not be that.

4. The Deal - Romantic Novel

Finally finished reading The Deal by Elle Kennedy after a few reels of the Amazon Prime series completely swept me off my feetand wow, I flew through all 355 pages without realising! 😂

Having both read the book and watched the show explainers, I have to say the series actually had a better plot. The on-screen tweaks worked beautifully, especially Dean guiding Garrett and the soft way they handled Logan's one-sided love angle. But, the book definitely wins when it comes to the breakup and patch-up sequence!

At its core, you will love this novel if you are a sucker for "green flag" relationships. These guys might be flawed when single, but they are pure gold when committed. The way Garrett treats Hannah in every situation is the standard (lowkey what all girls want!).It’s a heart-touching, fun read that kept me completely engrossed without needing crazy twists and turns. That’s just the power of solid writing!


Until next time

Sarvamshreekrishnarpanamasthu

Comments